Houston Regional Organizer – Job Opening
Houston Regional Organizer
Position: Houston Regional Organizer
Reports to: Political Director
Salary: $40,000 – $45,000
Benefits: Health/dental benefits, retirement plan and employer match, paid time off, possible flex time, remote working stipend
Status: Full-time exempt position (35 hours), occasional evenings and weekends
Location: Houston Metroplex and must be willing to travel around the area and to Austin occasionally
NARAL Pro-Choice Texas (NPCT) seeks an energetic, enthusiastic, and innovative self-starter to engage and activate new and diverse communities in Houston for reproductive rights & justice issues. This organizer will be responsible for recruiting, mobilizing, and managing Houston and surrounding area activists for NARAL Pro-Choice Texas & NARAL Pro-Choice Texas Foundation.
- Assist NPCT staff with implementing organizing goals for Houston and the surrounding area
- Identify and develop reproductive rights activists within Houston
- Work with the Political Director and other NPCT staff to manage and expand volunteer activities
- Develop and host community events to activate new members and engage current members
- Work with Repro Power Houston partners and grow intersectional coalition and base to advocate for local reproductive justice measures
- Help organize, create, and work with Next Generation program in Houston
- Represent the organization at local community events to raise the visibility of the organization and/or educate the public on reproductive health and rights
- Work with our development director on planning local events and identifying potential hosts for house parties
- Assist in efforts to grow NPCT’s email and social media lists
- Plan and implement education outreach events
- Act as a resource for our Houston area partners, supporters, and donors
- Implement and engage in GOTV program around statewide and local elections
Ideal candidate will possess the following qualities and skills:
- Familiarity with concepts of reproductive health, rights, and justice in order to communicate effectively with our organization’s supporters
- Ability to work independently and self manage time while coordinating with the Austin office
- Access to internet and ability to work from home
- Ability to execute multiple projects, set priorities, and follow through on plans
- Comfort with public speaking and leading discussions and events
- Access to a vehicle
- Familiarity with Houston and surrounding areas
- Inventive, creative, and problem-solving approach to challenges
- Ability to communicate effectively and diplomatically and to build positive relationships with staff, volunteers and supporters
- Proficiency in Spanish
- Prior experience with Get Out The Vote efforts
- One year of organizing experience
- One year of professional work experience
- Bachelor’s Degree can substitute work experience.
About NARAL Pro-Choice Texas:
NARAL Pro-Choice Texas (an affiliate of NARAL Pro-Choice America) and NARAL Pro-Choice Texas Foundation are dedicated to guaranteeing every Texan the right to make personal decisions regarding the full range of reproductive choices. NARAL Pro-Choice Texas, a 501(c)(4) organization, works to develop and sustain a constituency that uses the political process to guarantee the full range of reproductive choices, including preventing unintended pregnancy, bearing healthy children, and choosing legal abortion. NARAL Pro-Choice Texas Foundation works to protect reproductive choice through education, training, organizing, legal action, and public policy. NARAL Pro-Choice Texas is a non-discriminatory workplace and equal opportunity employer. People of color, persons with disabilities, and LGBTQIA individuals are encouraged to apply.
To apply please send a resume, cover letter, and a one-page writing sample to [email protected] by December 4, 2019.
Please note: this job description is not intended to be a complete list of all responsibilities, duties, or skills for this position and is subject to review and change in accordance with the needs of the organization.