NARAL goes undercover to investigate Texas’ crisis pregnancy centers
Pregnant? Scared? Need Help? Crisis pregnancy centers (CPCs) are behind these ads and pose a great risk to Texans.
CPCs are facilities that exist to prevent people facing unintended pregnancies from accessing abortion services. They frequently disguise themselves as health care facilities, but offer only limited and often medically inaccurate services. The State of Texas spends millions of taxpayers’ dollars funding CPCs.
In 2014, NARAL Pro-Choice Texas investigated CPCs across Texas to document their treatment of people facing unintended pregnancy, specifically those that might be considering abortion. Our investigation, CPCs Exposed, reveals that CPCs:
- take advantage of the mandatory ultrasound law to manipulate people into continuing their pregnancies
- delay people facing unintended pregnancies from accessing health care services
- deceive people to stop them from accessing accurate information about all their pregnancy options
- attempt to scare people into continuing their pregnancy
- are not equipped to handle the nuances of unintended pregnancy
Please visit www.txpregnancy.org for more background information on crisis pregnancy centers, the history of their funding and information on the Texas Pregnancy Care Network (TPCN).